For a while now, I’ve wanted to do a short podcast that showcases a few ancient coins available for sale around the Internet. With hundreds of coins available for sale at any given time, listeners might find it fun (and useful) to have one man’s opinion.
Perhaps the best way to listen is right here on the Pieces of Time website. Just click on our flash player, below (our pop up player feature is nice), scroll down to the show notes, and click on the links as the coins are described. If the coin is still for sale, you just might consider adding it to your collection!
SHOW NOTES & LINKS
- Coin # 1: Trajan Denarius, Trajan’s Column. Offered for $150 by Beast Coins. A lovely example of a coin depicting a piece of architecture from the ancient world that is still standing in the modern one.
- Coin #2: ISLANDS off CARIA, Rhodos. Rhodes. Circa 229-205 BC. AR Tetradrachm (27mm, 13.15 g, 12h). Tharsytas, magistrate. Radiate head of Helios facing slightly right / Rose with bud to right; to left, eagle standing right on torch; AP YTA above. Ashton 215; SNG Keckman 550; SNG Copenhagen -. Good VF. Broad flan. Offered by CNG for $3,250.
- Coin # 3: VESPASIAN . . 69-79 AD. Silver Denarius, 17mm (2.96 gm). . R: Titus and Domitian standing. cf. RIC. 315, minted in Asia Minor, circa 69-70 AD. A rare and nice dynastic issue, choice VF. Offered by Tom Cederlind at $625.
- Coin #4: Constantine VIII AE Follis, 1025 – 1028 AD, Class A3 Constantine VIII AE Follis (28mm, 6.83 grams), 1025 – 1028 AD, Class A3. Facing bust of Christ (see inset). / Inscription. S1818. Very nice Christ portrait. Offered by Barry & Darling at Auction.
- Coin #5: Antoninus Pius, 138-161 A.D. AE Sestertius, 25.85g. 32mm. Rome, 157-158 A.D. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP IMP II. Laureate head r. Rv. TR POT XXI COS IIII SC. Roma seated l. RIC 979. Fine style and medium green patina. good Very Fine/Very Fine $750.00. Offered by Edward J. Waddell, Ltd
PLEASE NOTE: I have no financial interest in these coins unless they come from my own collection–in which case you’ll be told that. I do not make any warranty or guarantee of authenticity unless I sell a coin to you from my personal collection. This podcast is for entertainment purposes only.